Over Other Firms?
With a 36 year reputation for service excellence and a Better Business Bureau "Torch Award" for Exceptional Service and Ethical Business Practice, we feel our staff makes the difference that sets HOME INSPECTORS ® apart from other Home Inspection companies in Ottawa. From initial inquiries to the booking process, inspection and presentation of our findings and report debriefing, our team at HOME INSPECTORS ® are focused on exceeding our client expectations. As a value added service, we now include a complimentary thermal imiaging scan with all regular home inspection services.
We fully understand that you are looking for an professional unbiased, expert opinion to assist you with your next housing decision whether buying, renovating, selling or simply assessing a problem with your home. Since 1980 we have appreciated the need to earn your respect and business by delivering exceptional customer service at each and every inspection we do.
Why Choose HOME INSPECTORS ® Over Other Firms?
- Reputation: We are Ottawa's "Premier" Home Inspection Firm since 1980. Our reputation for service and client satisfaction is unsurpassed in the area.
- Service: Home Inspectors was awarded the 2007 Better Business Bureau's prestigious TORCH AWARD for Marketplace Ethics and Customer Service. This was a first for any home inspection firm in Canada and Paul was widely recognized by his peers for this great accomplishment. This distinction is only granted once in a lifetime by the BBB. The nicest part was that we were nominated for this award, by our clientele! This award can only be awarded to a company once.
- New Home Expertise: As Founding President of The Professional Home and Property Inspectors of Canada, Paul was asked by the Tarion Home Warranty Corporation to serve on the Advisory Council responsible for Tarion's Construction Performance Guidelines (what they will or will not warranty). He was instrumental in the production of the 3rd edition of the Guidelines which can into effect in Jan of 2013. Needless to say, his expertise in New Home Construction is vast and he is an excellent choice to assist you in determining any deficiencies that your new home may have.
- Professional Affiliations: Paul Wilson is experienced and extremely qualified with his Professional Home & Property Inspector (PHPI) and National Home Inspector designation (NHI)- the most prestigious home inspection designations available in Canada today. He also is a Registered Home Inspector (RHI) with CAHPI Ontario and a Certified Member of the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI-ACI). Paul also teaches home Inspection and his courses are fully accepted and recognized by the National Home Inspector Certification Council. There are very few home inspectors in Canada with Paul's level of knowledge and expertise in home inspection.
- Fully recognized Member of the American Association of Home Inspectors (ASHI)
- Experience: Over 25,000 inspections conducted by Paul Wilson since 1980 in the Ottawa area. Many inspectors quote "15 years experience" - but experience at what??? Paul has been conducting home inspections as a full time professional since 1980. Contrary to what you may hear - there is no substitute for actual inspection experience. His prior experience as a builder/renovator has proven invaluable. He also spent time as an Educator and offers clear and concise verbal presentations during inspections. Paul is always pleased to answer any questions or concerns that may arise as part of the inspection. If a deficiency is noted, he may be able to provide some insight into remedial actions necessary (if possible) and a guestimate as to their related costs (costs may vary tremendously on repairs or replacements as quality of materials and workmanship can vary greatly).
- Unbiased Opinion and working for you - not others: We are not associated with any real estate firm. Nor are we generally recommended by real estate agents. The reason, we work for our clients - not the agents and we always "call it as we see it." Often resale offers are terminated as a result of undesirable inspection findings. Not many agents will refer a tough inspector because they consider them "deal killers". We like to think that we are protecting our clients interests by ensuring they are well aware of any serious issues with their new home.
- Customer Satisfaction: Over 50% of our business is referred by "word of mouth" from our satisfied clients. In all these years we have never had a client suggest or request a refund. The most common remark we hear - is "well worth the expense" and "Great Value for the money" - Not to mention a myriad of Thank You's including "Thank You for helping me NOT MAKE the biggest and most expense mistake of my lifetime. You opened our eyes to what we were REALLY getting yourselves into".
As a free value added service, we are now offering complimentary Thermal Imaging on all regular home inspections.
Please view our Testimonial page
- Concise Reporting: Detailed written Inspection Report provided onsite – make your decision an informed one - no waiting (a copy for you and we keep the 2nd copy on our files). Our reports cover the important issues as per the inspection standards of The Professional Home & Property Inspectors of Canada, American Society of Home Inspectors, Ontario Association of Home Inspectors and Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors.
The size of a report isn't what matters, it's the information in it that should count. Just as important is the verbal presentation during the inspection and your comprehension of the issues as they arise.
Some inspection firms quote that they provide a 200+ page report binder. There are generally only a very few pages of that big binder that constitute your actual home inspection report. On occasion there may even be a clause that states that the home inspection is not valid unless you read the entire binder. When you are pressed to make an important decision about a property you are interested in buying and have only a short time frame to do so - Do you really want to read nearly 200 pages of generic information or do you want the straight facts on this particular home?
- Personal Service: Our inspector DOES NOT carry a cell phone or pager during his inspections. You are paying us to conduct an inspection - not answer our phone. During an inspection, we want to give you our full undivided attention. All telephone inquires are answered by our professional full time office staff and not an answering service. Our staff should be able to answer most consumer inquiries about our services, pricing and availability. If you have a technical question that they are unable to answer directly, they will get you an answer from one of our inspectors.
- We were awarded the Ottawa Business Journal's vote as "Best Residential Building Inspection Company".
- Established reputation for quality service in the industry.
- Membership of municipal, provincial, and national professional associations (PHPIC, OAHI, CAHPI, ASHI, AOCBI, CHBA and the BBB ).
- Competitive rates: (Please ensure that your comparison is a fair one - especially the level of professional expertise, years of professional service and number of completed inspections) There will ALWAYS be someone who will do it cheaper than others. Cheaper is not always a deal, especially if your discount inspector missed something that ends up costing you more than the few dollars you saved. For one of the largest investments of your lifetime, hiring a bargain basement inspection service may not be your best course of action - You need the MOST EXPERIENCED INSPECTOR YOU CAN GET - Period! If you can find someone as experienced who will do your inspection for less - Let us know!.
- Comprehensive range of inspection services: – Pre-purchase Inspections, Pre-Delivery Inspections, 30 Day and 1 Year New Home Warranty Inspections, Pre-Listing Inspections, New Home – 4 Phase (Progressive) Construction Inspections, Homeowner Assessment Inspections, Maintenance Inspections, Renovation Consultations, Construction and Renovation Deficiencies and Litigation Disputes. We also now offer thermal imaging services.
- After Sales Service: Free follow-up telephone or e-mail consultations for as long as you own your home. Our knowledgeable staff are always there to answer your questions. We are also pleased to assist you with any recommendations or referrals should you decide at a late date to update or renovate your home
- Consumer Protection: Paul Wilson has received numerous calls of thanks and is often "dubbed" by many consumers as "Ottawa's top residential home inspection watchdog" acting on behalf of consumers in his dealings with many home builders/contractors and the media. His input inspired the CBC Canada Now series "Home Sweet Home". He has for years, warned consumers about the pitfalls of renovation "cash deals" as he has seen many of these "deals" turn into nightmares.
His concerns with Consumer protectionism inspired him to found the first home inspection association in Ontario here in Ottawa back in the early 1980's in order to establish standards of practice and a code of ethics for home inspectors to follow. He has been totally dedicated to improving the level of ethics and professionalism within his profession, ever since and has been well recognized amongst his peers for these efforts.